Wednesday, October 1, 2014

AZ Big Year - Week Thirty-Nine 9/24-9/30

On Wednesday 24th I meet five folks from Japan, Yuko & her husband and three friends at the Santa Rita Lodge.  Though all speak & understand at least some English, Yuko acts as an interpreter for much of the day.  Birding was particularly slow from a local standpoint however we had an enjoyable day since many of the birds were new and the scenery is nothing like Japan. We birded lower Florida Canyon, the grasslands below Madera Canyon, and in Madera Canyon at the Mt Wrightson Picnic Area & Madera Picnic Area.
The rest of the week was spent mostly working around the house or waiting for my truck to be repaired.  Monday 29th afternoon & Tuesday 30th morning I visited North Santa Cruz Park in Sahuarita hoping to find some sparrow flocks.  My next target, like the Forster’s Tern was in prior week, is Clay-colored Sparrow.  I didn’t have much luck at all with sparrows but was pleased to see an adult Common Black Hawk flying through the nearby pecan grove.
No new birds this week so I’m still at 390.

No comments:

Post a Comment